Re: [OM] Trip to the US?

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to the US?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:10:07 -0700
Paul Laughlin wrote:
> There were Denny's for quite some time before Sambo's closed.  In Oklahoma
> City, at least.  I used to frequent both.

That's my recollection here, as well. The only Sambo's I was aware of
locally is now a Buttercup, but I think it may have been some other
non-Denny's name in between.

Wikipedia and other sources seem to agree that there was no connection
between the two chains. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo%27s>

Denny's does try to standardize and control operations, but sometimes
things go beyond their control. I have no idea what the current
situations is, but years ago, the one in Emeryville had become in part a
popular place for commercial assignations. Attractive, slightly
suggestively, but pretty well dressed women would hang around at the
counter drinking coffee and ordering small things. Men would sit down
next to them and discuss arrangements, then the 'couples' would often
leave together.

Quite fun to watch, at least as long as our son was young enough that he
had no idea what was going on right in front of us. It was a good
location and quite busy with legitimate trade, too. I suppose the fact
that it was so busy helped camouflage the other activity. Certainly the
most entertaining Denny's I'd ever been to.

Moose