Re: [OM] Earth Hour

Subject: Re: [OM] Earth Hour
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:34:08 -0500

> I wonder if anyone has done a study of the physiological effects of
> intensity and color temperature of light.

Yes.  Dr. Margaret Livingstone (Author of 'The Biology of Seeing') has
either done or been part of extensive research into this and other
vision-related studies.

What is very fascinating is that it is believed that babies are born without
the "Auto White Balance" functioning as that is developed through
experiential reference. Therefore, in the typical hospital which is heavily
florescent lit, they see everything in the putrid green light.  No wonder
they cry.

In our house we used daylight-balanced bulbs whenever possible while the
girls were infants.  I know for a fact they were unhappy under normal
florescent lighting.

AG