Re: [OM] Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] Anniversary
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:04:16 +0200
On 24 Mar 2009, at 6:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> I can't somehow make you lust enough after a Linhof Technorama 617S
>> to swap
>> your 3Ti with?
>>

> Hmm.  Hmm.  Nope.  I'd need to spend a few thousand on enlargers and
> scanners to support that format.

But just to add my 2c, it is a bloody amazing camera. I don't think
I'd ever part with it,
it captures a scene with a fidelity which I have never seen in
anything other than 5x7in
and larger formats. In testing, a 10-shot panorama stitch from an
Olympus E-3 still resolves
less, and captures subtle graduations in colour and light far worse
than that big piece of
Provia.

But it is so the complete opposite of the OM, which is (similar to
Leica M) about spontaneous, but
pre-planned shots taken often discreetly. It's a pain in the arse to
use most of the time, and
few scenes suit 3x1 aspect ratio.

But when they do - oh boy. You have to at least once in your life use
one of these big panoramic
cameras, and though there are many clones, the Linhof is special. Or
shall I say, the Linhof/Schneider
90mm lens is special. The only ultra-ultra wide lens I've used with
absolutely not a single visible
rendition of any of the common aberrations (distortion, coma,
chromatic aberration, flare, etc).

Anyway - I wouldn't rally swop it for a 3Ti, but I just wanted to
establish, Ken, how much you value
yours. Since the Linhof 617 is a $7000+ camera, I would say pretty
much :-)

enjoy life,
Dawid