Re: [OM] Anniversary

Subject: Re: [OM] Anniversary
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:33:20 -0500

> I have lusted after an OM-3Ti long before I even discovered this list,
> so I am afraid you cannot in any way take credit for that bad influence :-)

I will admit to espousing the populist attitude of "too little for too much"
back when it was for sale new. How sad. The camera really is greater than
the sum of its parts not from any technical point of view, but from the
intangible point of view.  There is something about the camera which cannot
be explained, but must be experienced.  The OM-4Ti, when used in manual mode
is identical--yet it isn't.  The cameras not only sound different, but they
feel different in the hand. The OM-1 doesn't even come close to the sonic
perfection which is the OM-3Ti.

> But I do hope you get your darkroom going soon, it makes using the OM
> cameras so much more  special... Digital is somehow much better for colour,
> I hate being dependent on labs. The
> only colour films I do is for the 6x17cm, and I make about 3 shots per
> month on that.

This is why I'm starting the research into setting up my own color film
processing capability.  I had investigated it before, but digital kinda
interrupted that.

> I can't somehow make you lust enough after a Linhof Technorama 617S to swap
> your 3Ti with?

Hmm.  Hmm.  Nope.  I'd need to spend a few thousand on enlargers and
scanners to support that format.

> P.S. And I know I should, but I have no desire whatsoever to own a
> 35-80.

And why would that be?  Because all of them on Ebay just suddenly got sold
out?

AG