Re: [OM] IMG: March 1st Snow in Mid-South

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: March 1st Snow in Mid-South
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 21:50:13 +0100
I know of course, Chris, that Scottish and EA weather differ. But the
climat of EA and Holland are much alike. One of the reasons for so
many Dutch farmers and bulb growers to move over to your part of the
UK!

I thought that the eastern part of Scotland (lower areas) and East
Anglia roughly share their winter temperature regimes too, but I am
not sure about it. The west coast is quite different, much milder -
when you do not climb the mountains of course. I have spent two
holidays there, long ago - once by bicycle and once by car, always
camping in a tent.
It was mild, little rain (I was lucky), and enough sun as well. And
humid! I will always remember the midges coming out at about 6 pm and
not returning to their... yes, where do they go after dark?
During my first trip I was still smoking cigars, but it didn't really
put them off. The second time I brought a mosquito hood, which worked
out quite well. Unfortunately it was always at dinner time, so one had
to put the hood off and eat very quickly.

What I also remember is the way the roads up north were built. Killing
for cyclists: never around a hill, like in France or in the south of
England, but always straight across. Quite steep, downhill I sometimes
made 45 mph! All those road-signs 'blind summit'... I can still have
bad dreams about those.
But a beautiful country it certainly is.

Frank.