Re: [OM] On criticism and book reviews

Subject: Re: [OM] On criticism and book reviews
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:20:42 -0400
On Feb 23, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> I'm in the process of reviewing a photography book for the Zone-10
> website.
> And I'm having troubles.

I understand your concern about backlash about the review but it does
sound like you're very positive on the book overall and just have a
few things you'd like to comment on. One thought that I had is that
if the photographer is really as "untouchable" as you make it sound
they are then it's quite possible that they're at a point where they
don't hear constructive criticism any more. I think a review can be
just as useful to the creator as it is to the consumer. For the
consumer all you're really saying is "this is a great book and I
highly recommend it but here's a few issues I found with it that kept
it from being as good as it could be," but that last part about what
kept it from being as good as it could be is crucial information for
someone who's still interested in improving their art and craft (and
if they aren't interested in that I'd argue they don't deserve to be
at the lofty place they are).