Re: [OM] WTB: lenses for an OM nostalgia system

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB: lenses for an OM nostalgia system
From: Warren Kato <wkkato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:02:03 -0800
Not to dissuade you from your quest but may I suggest a different kit.
16/3.5  a good choice
21/3.5 vs 21/2: for whatever reason, perhaps I had a bad 21/2, but I
preferred the 3.5 version for its 49mm filters, and overall contrast
across the field.
24/2.8 v. 24/2: also I like the 2.8 version.  One of my sharpest lens.
I found substantial spherical aberrations in my f2 wide open or down a
couple of stops
28/2 is the sharpest wide in my stable.  I had several 2.8s and I was
never happy with them.
35/2.8 v. 35/2  I liked the 35/2 over the 2.8 but since it was the
last lens with 55m filters I let it go.
50/3.5 v. 50/1.8: although the 1.8 is acknowledged as the sharpest,
the 3.5 macro is much more versatile.
85/2  keep this for the bokeh.
100/2.8 v. 100/2:  The 100/2 was probably my favorite lens but I
needed the case. The smooth rendition of the 2.8 makes up for this.
135/3.5  v. 135/2.8 This 3.5 version works nicely adapted to the
digital E series.
200/5 v. 200/4   Same here.

If you get my drift, I ended up keeping all of the 49mm filter
lens--not because they were better but fit Maitani's vision of a
smaller system.  I can get almost all of the above (have to deselect a
couple of teles) plus a 4T and 3 body in an Lowe Orion.  My digital OM
stuff is considerably more bulky and takes a full pack to fit it in.
E-330, L10, 8mm, 7-14, 14-54, and 50-200.

I hope this helps but know it really doesn't.

Warren