Re: [OM] Workflow and old barn pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Workflow and old barn pictures
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:45:26 -0600
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:57 AM, SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But you could do the same except using lightroom instead of aperture. I
> may infact only import the jpgs into aperture from now on, not for disk
> space reasons but to make it easier to scan my library and then just
> pull in the raw files from their disk if needed, BTBH I very very rarely
> fiddled I mean adjusted the image from what I originally shot.

Yes, I know, but as Studio is the cipher to Olympus Truth, I've just
decided to put Lightroom on the shelf as I intend to shoot RAW only.

> I just wonder when people refer to the olympus colour how are they
> seeing it.

LOL!  Like the color they see in their dreams?  Seriously, since the
E-1 works so well as a studio camera, it won't have gotten that
reputation if it disappointed with regard to skin tones, etc.  But
honestly, I don't feel that I was ever let down colorwise by the E-330
and its dreaded Panny sensor.  I just dialed in the same settings I
used in the E-1.  But I'm not a studio guy or a color honcho.

The E-3 offers a larger range of color options, while its stock
capture looks extremely accurate to me.  I think I could order paint
for my house based on a jpg!  But I'm not sure that's what people have
come to celebrate as "Olympus color."  The E-1 is a great camera, but
the E-3 offers things I like well enough that I feel I can just enjoy
both.

> To further complicate it I have two monitors one dell 2408 and a hp 2065
> and the same image looks totally different on both the HP is a little
> bit more saturated, I have it profiled so that the dell matches the
> r2880 (colormunki) now but no matter how much I adjust the profile of
> the HP I can't get it to match. ( I have fixed the coloursync problem I
> had originally). I am supposing that this is due to the different LCD
> display technologies involved, but it make me wonder how many people
> actually see the same image as I do.

So true.

> What we need to do though is pressurise olympus to provide the raw
> plugin for lightroom aperture etc

Good thought.

> I am not welded as you speak, but I loved aperture when I had the E1,
> now I just like it and I don't want to pay for another product unless
> necessary, although I may buy studio now.

You love Aperture more than I love Lightroom, which I was using only
as a RAW converter.  I would think it might be good business for
Olympus to find a way to provide such a plug-in, particularly when
they send out a body for examination and/or review, with some
encouragement to use it to get the best out of the camera.

Joel W.