[OM] Oly RAW workflow [was E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1]

Subject: [OM] Oly RAW workflow [was E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:56:09 -0800
I've been only loosely following this thread, as I have neither the
cameras nor the software being discussed.

However, a thought occurred. For those who dislike the color LightRoom
produces, but like the image adjustment tools available in it, how about
a combination?

Batch process the RAW images with the Oly software, then process in LR,
or whatever you like for adjustments.

That's really how RAW processing started out. The original ACR, the
later versions of which are the RAW engines for both LR and PS, was a
very simple thing that allowed adjustments to exposure, allowing
adjustment of white and black and mid points. It was mostly a door into
PS, where any further adjustments were carried out.

Nowadays, ACR and some other RAW processors are more than half way to
being image editors, as well and then, in many cases feed the converted
image into the image editing part of the same overall app. And that's
good, if you like the results of both parts of their functions, as many
folks do. If not, there's nothing wrong with using the best tool for you
for each separate function, and it's probably less work and frustration
than using just one, if you are spending lots of time working the images
and being frustrated trying to get the results you want.

Sure, the batch conversion  results will be off for a few images. For
those special ones that are worth it, do the conversion in the Oly app
GUI and touch up in whatever else it needs.

I've used this form of workflow quite a bit the last year, as the only
RAW converter I found that did a good job on RAW files from the CHDK
firmware enhancements to the A650 IS is dcraw, a command line only app.
I found settings that worked well for most images and simply batch
processed each new bunch I downloaded from the camera. The only other
thing I needed for some was highlight recovery, so I created batch files
for a couple of alternatives. It was easy and quick enough to run those
against selected images that needed them when browsing through the
TIFFs. Just select those to process and SendTo the alternate settings.

More recently, RawTherapee finally included the A650, so I have the
option of using a GUI RAW converter/editor. It took such a long time to
incorporate a new version of the dcraw file decoder because RT was going
through a major upgrade. I tend to agree with AG that they got a lot
right in the new version. It certainly does a better job more easily on
blown highlights (intentional in this case, for other reasons) from the
A650 than I get from any simple use of dcraw.

More about ACR for you LR users. Once you struggle through getting an
E-x RAW conversion right, you can save those settings and call them up
for other images. I assume everybody knows that, but it seemed from a
couple of posts that it may not be so. I think that's what David was
offering to those who wanted to try his out.

Moose