Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] E-3 versus E-1 - pictures better with E-1
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 14:05:05 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Interestingly, though I was shooting at magic hour, Auto WB put the
> color temp at 4900.  If I change it to 5300 (daylight) in LR, it seems
> less accurate in a way such that I tend to prefer what I saw with Auto
> WB.  This is weird to me and quite different from the E-1.  Overall,
> the E-3 seems more accurate than the E-1, which is not to say it is
> necessarily more pleasing by that fact.  There is somewhat more to
> choose from in settings as well.
>
> I'm interested in what others are using as their standard settings on the E-3.

Joel,

I don't have any "standard settings" that I use with the E-3 as I don't
shoot jpegs, making all of my choices in Olympus Studio during RAW
conversion with further adjustments in PS. I'm still in the experimental
stage.

One thing I noticed about Lightroom. If I shoot using Daylight WB in the
E-1, Lightroom initially shows a WB as 'as shot" with a color
temperature of 4950 with a tint of +9 in the develop module (the E-3 is
4900 with a +3 tint). I'm assuming 4950 is their equivalent of Olympus
daylight for the E-1. So if you set Lightroom to 5300, as I understand
it, you would be getting a much warmer color cast than you would
probably want.

Richard

--
Richard Lovison Photography