Re: [OM] Mid-Iowa ZuikoFest - Joel's results

Subject: Re: [OM] Mid-Iowa ZuikoFest - Joel's results
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:31:55 -0600
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM, siddiq@xxxxxxx <siddiq@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>
>> OK, I've been busy and got my real so-called web site updated to
>> include my take-aways from the Mid-Iowa ZuikoFest (with eagles!) last
>> weekend:
>>
>> http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/index.html
>>
>> (Psst!  a self-portrait of sorts and a study of Dr. 3Ti may be found
>> herein!)
>>
>> Joel W.
>
> Loose boards caught my eye--lots of texture, but it also looks like
> it's a tad too sharp, crackly, dare I say? Maybe it's a killer lens
> you used, or the light/texture really is that crackly fragile looking.
> Also, it looks level, vertically, but at the same time looks like it's
> leaning to the left.

Could definitely be over-sharpened, or perhaps the file is a bit too
compressed.  I did my normal stuff in PS which includes some initial
sharpening, but I just let Jalbum crunch the images this time in
processing the web page.  They looked OK on my CRT monitor at home but
are crunchier on my LCD at work.  But if you don't know whether it's
sharpening or a sharp lens, I'll settle for that, as the 14-54 is no
slouch.  Also, thanks for the comment about the lines.  I'll think
some more about that.  I know I was struggling with the decision as to
what to line it up with when I was composiing the image and what
you're seeing is the decision I made while shooting rather than later
in PS.

> And I finally get to see Ken! Looks *nothing* like the imaginary AG
> persona I had in mind, but that's how it always is, isn't it?

He's a big, tall guy, likes hot food, and is a good friend.  I enjoy
every minute I can spend with him.  We're both a lot more serious when
we're together than when we're online.  Ken is the guy I think of when
I recall Doris' frequent admonition that the most important piece of
equipment in photography is the big chip between your shoulders.

Joel W.