Re: [OM] You've got snow?

Subject: Re: [OM] You've got snow?
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:54:02 -0600
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Docherty wrote:
>
>  > Well, I'd be happy for a little heat. This is the first time I've
> been > able to get out of my house since Tuesday. Trees down, power out due
>  > to ice storm. temp in F twenties and teens. Ice on limbs and lines
>  > keep breaking power lines quicker than they can fix 'em. It's really
>  > uncomfortable stepping out of the shower when it's 40 degrees F in
> the > house. Thank goodness I have a gas water heater. I love it here in
>  > Kentucky .I finally made it out of my neighborhood to a local eatery
>  > with wi-fi. Thanks to some neighbors with chainsaws clearing our
> road. > The cracking of tree limbs and whole trees toppling in the
> middle of
>  > the night is an eerie sound . I had power until Tuesday at 6:15am.
>  > Might be without power for another week to 10 days. Now to find a
>  > place to stay before I freeze to death.
>

> Bob,
>
> You have my sympathy as my wife and I along with many others in our area
> were victims of an ice storm a couple of weeks before Christmas. We were
> without power for a week. Thankfully we had a generator that powered the
> oil burner, refrigerator, and well pump. The day they finally got to
> repairing the lines we were hit with a 12'' snow storm. The irony of it
> all. :)
>
> Richard

You have may full sympathy.  When I was just getting back into our
flooded home for cleanup last summer, I had to buy a generator and
back-wire the panel because the city wouldn't allow electricity into
flooded homes without replacement of the panel and flooded wire.
Well, you can't clean up without power, especially as my water comes
by way of an electric pump, and you can't rewire without being
somewhat clean, at least somewhere for starters.  Catch-22.  I just
remember thinking "At least it's not winter."

Joel W.