Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2
From: Frank van Lindert <Frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:30:25 +0100
Let's not forget B+W photography was not invented because of its
beauty, but only because it was impossible to do colour at the time.
Not many painters do B+W.... some charcoal sketches perhaps, but not
often of nature subjects or people.
But I admit that sometimes I do a bit of retro B+W work to, in
particular in architecture.

The fact that many of us (me included) sometimes like B+W so much is
entirely due to its unnatural effect. Strange to the human eye, that
is. Some parts of the visible spectrum are 'enhanced' and others are
subdued.
Perhaps the camera chips are made to match the human eye for spectral
response so perfectly that their B+W pictures are inevitably less
attractive than those resulting from chemical processes.
And the same might apply for the software we use: perhaps special B+W
software would be necessary to imitate the chemical processing?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.