[OM] dance photo shoot

Subject: [OM] dance photo shoot
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 18:14:21 -0500
No one mentioned the new kid on the block--ZA  16-35/2.8.  I don't
think it ships  in the US for a bit though the MTF plots appeared and
were grabbed and posted on FM--see below. It will be the better part of
2K USD.  First  few posts photos seem impressive--odd dip in MTF though
Zeiss knows what their doing. Curious that these are calculated MTF
like Canyon with actual, measured MTF on the Zeiss site though no ZA
data.
Pinged Zeiss in the past and they said no plans to offer the ZA zooms
in other mounts and implied they could not if they wanted to -can't
really expect the tail to wag the dog. The CZ lenses seem to have a  3D
effect and excellent "microcontrast."  Not sure that skillful PP won't
make up for much of the difference in moderate sized prints with the
Tammy,
considering the massive price differential.  Seems like Sony is pulling
up fast on the outside and has a much better "kit" lens than Canyon
with the  OM 5DMk 11.  Unlike the longer Canyon zooms the 24-105 seems
to get mixed reviews and luke warm endorsements despite the excellent
range, reasonable size and IS.  Hmmm

Mike

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/729871

The Can*n 24-105/4 just doesn't impress me, other than it is
a convenient range, and yes, most of my shots are with that lens.
But even the cheaper 28-135 seems better in a lot of ways, just too slow
on the top end. the

The loss in the 16-35 mkII at 35mm seems like net zero gain to me
over the version 1. I would rather have a good 16-18mm prime and a
good 35mm prime, but Cany*n doesn't seem to think it is worth
pursuing a non-zoom wide. If the mkII were as good as the 24-70
at 35mm, then it would be an impressive lens. Having wasted money
on the 16-35 version 1, I'm reluctant to waste any more.