[OM] dance photo shoot

Subject: [OM] dance photo shoot
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:39:13 -0500
There seems to be much grousing about the "kit" lens 24-105 f4 IS with
the OM 5Dmk11. Not sure if its the
usual no free lunch rule of optics with disagreement over the necessary
compromises or real lens performance.
Its bokeh does seem to be a bit harsh (I can provide links) and it does
have a bit more vignetting wide open and some barrel distortion at the
wide end. Probably the worst feature is its lack of ability to truly
take advantage of the super nice resolution of the sensor esp above
80mm. All the rest is easily fixable, except the bokeh which can be a
pain to fix. On the other hand the range/wt/IS are nice. Seems the
price of the Contax N
24-85 has gone up. Someone actually managed to hack the protocols for
the lens/eos so that he can change the mount to have complete
AF/autoaperture. http://en.conurus.com/faq.html
He is up to his neck with work until March for the 24-85. The Contax
cleans the clock of the 24-105 at 80mm and the bokeh is MUCH nicer.
Alas it is not IS and the conversion possibility seems to have inflated
the price. He doesn't think any lens that requires a mechanical
coupling to change mounts is worth developing a conversion process
for--e.g CZ in Sony mount or OM lenses for that matter. (I asked)

Mike

would very much like the 70-200/4 IS and the 24-105/4 IS for day time
shooting. But either one would cost me more than the sum total I have
invested in Canon mount lenses counting both Tokinas and both Tamrons
(20-40 and 24-135)