Re: [OM] Peter Lik again

Subject: Re: [OM] Peter Lik again
From: ws <omls@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:05:08 -0500
Not too late at all, jump right in. The water is nice.
Sorry you had such a bad salesman experience. Did he happen
to have an Oz accent?

They must have toned down their approach as the sales person
in NY was very cordial and friendly, with no sales pitch. It is true
that Peter Lik pioneered some of the early versions of the Fujifilm
printing process, but I'm pretty sure it is the crystal archive pearl
paper, and it does have silver halide crystals. And it is true that
Fuji installed the system.

Personally, there are a lot folks on this list who could probably shoot
just as good a shot if they had the money, equipment and time to
pursue it. I admire him for going out and doing it, but it is a business
and depends on making sales. Now that he is established, the work
is carrying it, but I personally would not pay $5-75K for some of his
work. I'd rather go make my own shots and get them printed
There  must be some printer services that could do that?

Peter's secret is simply being there with a good camera and film
and knowing how to expose it well. I was actually surprised by
one shot as I did not think it all that great, at least compared to
some similar shots I have made. I just didn't us a 6x17 camera.
And of course, having an obese camera and ego helps a lot.

Wayne