Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses
From: castanet.xiosnetworks <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:13:31 +0800
2009/1/18 Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Agreed. I'm very tempted to elaborate on this but I think I'd better back
> > off.... Maybe old silver nose can stick his neck out and do that...  :)
>

> Yes, I know I'm going to get slapped around for my comment.  Yet, I don't
> understand this thinking that we can't get it right "in camera" and we have
> to post-process everything.  The defense is usually something along the
> lines of "I'm smarter than the engineering teams that spent years
> perfecting
> the technology".  But this isn't anything new--we've been doing stupid
> things like over-exposing and under developing B&W films for years because
> Kodak, Fuji, Ilford and Agfa engineers are all idiots.
>
> A case in point is converting raw files to 16-bit and then having to
> reconvert to 8-bit when all you're doing is minor contrast, WB and
> saturation adjustment in an editor.  It makes no sense because if the raw
> converter allows you to do these things during the conversion process, it
> is
> doing so in 16-bit mode already and only writing the final processed file
> in
> 8-bit.  If your converter is processing in 8-bit, then you need a better
> raw
> converter.
>
> AG
> --

I'm in the bomb shelter now. Good luck bud. Nice knowing you. Just as well
I'm in Japan right now.  :)

K.

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney