Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Resolving power of lenses
From: castanet.xiosnetworks <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 03:23:23 +0800
Wow! I finally found SOMEONE on this List who has used Irfanview!
I do agree that Sharpening with IFW is a delicate issue and I usually only
apply it one step if not two and that's about it. If I go beyond that, the
image will break out like rupturing pimples. Otherwise IFW is really pretty
much all I need. The tools are simple enough but effective for what I need.
Like you, I don't dabble with layering and I'm utterly lost with Photoshop.

IFW is also great for oldies like me who are used to keyboard hotkey
controls. They're fast and highly usable.

I haven't used Faststone but would like to hear more about it. Is it freely
downloadable like IFW?

K.

2009/1/17 <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> Resolving power. Have I got that right?
>
> Recently on my E-1 I have been using a Zuiko macro 50/3.5, and also
> sometimes the DZ 14-54.
>
> This may seem heretical to say, but I find that Faststone enables me to do
> all I usually need do do to images.
>
> With Faststone, the DZ 14-54 images usually need sharpening by 4 or
> maybe 5 Faststone units, to get the maximum amount of acceptable
> sharpening absorbed by them. Zuiko 50/3.5 images, in the other hand,
> seem to benefit only a little from Faststone sharpening, and when they do
> it
> is by the application of only 1 - 2 units..  I have sometimes found that
> Irfanview sharpening goes too far and I appreciate the choice of degree the
> Faststone provides.
>
> With Faststone, I usually apply some Gamma adjustment ( usually
> lightening), and sometimes adjust contrast, saturation, and (especially
> with
> blue flowers) I tweak the colour levels (in this case increase the blue).
> Moderation is the key to a good result. Then I sharpen the images before
> saving.
>
> I've never got my head around layers, masking and what-not with Photoshop
> (even though my computer came with it installed), and seem to get
> acceptable images without these.  The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid ! )
> edict
> seems to work for me.
>
> Brian Swale.
> --

Khen Lim - Zone-10 LLC, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them" - Walt
Disney