Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners

Subject: Re: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:56:22 -0800
On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:50 AM, David Irisarri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> E-3 is much better than E-1 in nearly all features and certainly it
> seems E-3 only underexposes 0.3EV against 0.7EV of E-1. E-3 has much
> wider dynamic range and broader in highlights than E-1.
> OM4ti was perfect! I was really in love with this camera. Multispot
> metering was a dream.

Never had a chance to use it, but always hear consistently high
praise. Maybe one day.

> When I switched to E-1, I decided to use center-weighted but IMHO this
> type of light metering cannot be used with narrow highligh exposure
> latitute because you are blowing highlights. Then I started to use the
> 49 cell matrix metering and it copes much better with highlights but
> underexposes 0.7EV aprox.

I use ESP on the E10 (and E510 and E3 (overall, not tied to AF point))
because otherwise things tended to blow out. I'd rather preserve
overall highlight. I hear Canon has a highlight tone priority feature,
possibly interesting, never used it.

> I would like to see a camera with different type of color reversal
> film
> emulations, different type of contrast curves (I hate +1, +2 , etc...)
> (it would be very nice to upload Photoshop curves in your camera)
> and a
> sensor with enough dynamic range in order to get what you see with
> your
> camera.

I'm settings things on default for natural picture mode, it's a nice
compromise between -2 and doing work in post vs very usable out of
camera. Not making any prints helps, almost all my work is JPG and
web. When delivering for print, not nearly enough experience to
warrant experimenting, defaults work for me :)

> I think Olympus is going in this line as they have created a
> very strong TruePIC III+ processor with a faster processing engine.

It is a very good JPG engine as well.

> They
> are applying filters in E-30 but I am pretty sure E-4 will bring us
> broader features to avoid this odd Raw Processing odd routine. Raw
> processing is nice but sometimes is a pain in the neck. I miss
> projecting my perfect exposed Ektachrome slides in my wall. Do you
> understand me?

Yup. Nothing quite like a Kodachrome (or fujichrome provia) projected.