[OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners

Subject: [OM] E system metering was Dpreview Challenges beta: First winners
From: "siddiq@xxxxxxx" <siddiq@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:26:40 -0800
On Jan 13, 2009, at 7:52 AM, David Irisarri wrote:

> Hope they can improve light metering, Olympus is always underexposing
> with their cameras due to sensor dynamic range (very narrow in
> highlights and wider in the shadows). I miss OM4T light metering too
> much.

First, a late congrats, very lovely shot.

As far as metering goes, I've found the E3 (and the E510 and E10) to
be dang near very good, almost never required compensation. By
contrast, I shot extensively with two other systems, Sony Alpa 100 and
Nikon D90, and they always end up underexposing--with a very fine line
between what I find acceptable and blowing out when adding compensation.

Possibly it's because I've gotten accustomed to how the Olympus
systems work. Or they just have a very good metering system.

That's not to say one is best--as I continued using the D90, as much
as some of the lack of customization (relative to the E3, which is
superb) was found wanting, I will admit my shots got better the more I
used it.

Then when I went back to the E3 (was loaned to friend for
holiday)...man I missed it!

/s