Re: [OM] OT Transition to digital TV (in the US)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Transition to digital TV (in the US)
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:41:38 -0600

> top box. But if my understanding of the fine print is correct our fuzzy
> signal will register as a digital 0 rather than a 1 with the result that
> we won't be able to get _any_ signal at all with the possible exception
> of the CBC.

The signal that you do get is perfect and beautiful.  However, you'll also
get a lot of frozen frames, digital buzz and other really irritating
artifacts.

> Another problem is that I have heard that the digital
> transmission will be in the UHF range. We aren't able to pick up any UHF
> signals even though the antenna has the UHF component.

Well, yes and no.  The digital signal (see above) has enough error
correction to cover up a multitude of interference evils--especially
multi-path which is the cause of most TV interference problems.

> -Forget about TV

Always a wonderful option.   Highly recommended.

-Get a satellite dish. ~$600/yr +equip and install.   Might not get
> local channels and don't want or care about any of the other crap nor
> the bill.

Dish Network has all your local channels.  I'm satisfied with it.  Make sure
you get the unit with the DVR capability.  Time shifting, pausing, rewinding
while watching live TV and picture-in-picture make watching TV almost fun.

> -internet TV.

Coming, but not really an option YET. Give it another 18 months--this
recession is delaying a lot of things right now.

>   Also we are on DSL @ 256 theoretically with not much hope of
> doing better even if we pay for it. I don't have to view in real time
> and could simply add a hard drive for later viewing.

DSL is a distance limited technology. ADSL (and variants of II, II+) top out
at around 18,000 feet from the DSL Access Muliplexor (DSLAM) unless "smart
coils" are used then it goes to about 27000 feet.  Unless you live a couple
miles from the telephone building, you're most likely being served off of a
"remote". These are those ugly boxes about the size of a marmaduke
doghouse.  The DSLAMs are usually mounted inside of them along with the POTS
line cards.  If your service tops out at 256kbps download, you're probably
at 16000 feet or more distance.  Chances are, however, that it can actually
go up to about 768 if they alter the protocol used for the syncing of your
modem.

AG