Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:53:17 +1100
That rattlesnake theory is a little too rational for my taste -
animal behaviour is often logical but reasoning doesn't enter into it.
We have a Pit Viper, the Death Adder (corruption of deaf adder) which
is very venomous but small fanged so it doesn't feature much in
statistics. The Browns and Tigers are a problem because they are
bold, even aggressive at times - people claim that they'll actually
chase you though I'm dubious. But they are territorial and inhabit
dry grasslands close to housing.
The Taipan and relatives are seen as most dangerous because they can
reach two meters and will savage a victim - they wrap round and bite
several times, putting a large volume of venom into you. That's a big
and scary critter.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx