Re: [OM] email address posted in the body

Subject: Re: [OM] email address posted in the body
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:15:16 -0800
> From: "Ken Norton" <ken AT zone-10 DOT com>
>
> I will second Wayne's request.  Those of us using gmail are more
> often than
> not major contributors to this problem because when we reply, it
> throws the
> following in:
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM, WayneS <hadom3ti AT screwupthemailer
> DOT net>wrote:
>
>> I noticed a couple of list members are now including the email
>> address of the person they are responding to in the body of the
>> email.

Although I complied with the request, it is to no avail. All the
messages are available in their entirety, including full headers, in
the archive:
        http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM

If I were writing address harvesting software, why would I bother
parsing message body text when I can pull all the addresses I want
right out of the headers?

Thomas can turn off the archive, or require it to me members-only
access, but since the list itself is open access, the latter wouldn't
stop anyone from harvesting all our addresses.

It's a losing battle. Don't worry, be happy -- and install your own
spam filters, or sign up with an email service provider that does it
for you.

:::: Very few Americans actually function as citizens anymore...
Americans are primarily consumers today, and so long as they continue
to wrap themselves in the cocoon of comfort, and the system keeps them
walking down a road to the perceived path of prosperity, they don't
want to rock the boat. If it doesn't have a direct impact on their day-
to-day existence, they simply don't care. -- Scott Ritter ::::
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality <http://www.EcoReality.org> ::::