Re: [OM] (OM) Zuiko macro 50/3.5 and E1

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Zuiko macro 50/3.5 and E1
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:30:09 -0600
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I rarely use the OM adapter with anything other than the 50/3.5, 90/2,
>> 180/2.8, or 300/4.5. There are others I could use it with, but mostly
>> the DZs cover the ranges as well or better without the inconvenience.
>> (I know that Ken will be out to scalp me of what little hair I have
>> left for saying that ...)
>>

> Nope.  No scalping.

Whew!

>The DZ lenses are amazing.  What's interesting to me,
> about using the ancient lenses on the E-1 system is that I'm now a far
> better OM system user.  Knowing where the diffraction limits are on a given
> lens has been quite revealing and pictures from the OM system are
> benefiting.

I defer to you.  Nobody I know of has produced so many photographs via
adapter as you.

> The 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 give the most incredible 3D-like images with the E-1,
> the 50/3.5 is just sharp in every way and has a comfortable "relaxed" bokeh
> that doesn't look awkward or gimmicky. The 100/2.8, although sharp, doesn't
> yield the same bokeh characteristics that it does on film (mysteries of the
> universe), and the 200/4, which is typically rather pedestrian on film, is
> incredible on the E-1.  The 300/4.5 is just plain wonderful on both systems.

I was goofing around with the 24/2.8 last night on the E-1, trying to
see if I can figure out a way to get the exposure system to work in
any predictable way with an OM adapter, Zuiko, and KatzEye screen.
Not working so far, but I will have to shoot and look at the exposures
in Lightroom.  I'm afraid I've been seriously corrupted by the larger
LCDs...

You asked me a few days ago what I was going to do with the E-1 and
E-330.  I'd like to park the OM-adapter on the E-1 and create a little
kit of vintage glass for it.  The E-330 is small enough in scale that
it would be nice to get a couple of the small zooms introduced with
the 400 series for it.  But have you priced those lenses lately?  It's
more cost effective to buy the 420 with the kit lenses than buy the
lenses by themselves. The camera is almost free if you're willing to
pay the price of the lenses.

Joel W.