Re: [OM] Inside, Looking Out

Subject: Re: [OM] Inside, Looking Out
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:51:14 -0500
Reminds me of New Mexico. They regularly closed the two main interstates
there, I-25 and I-40, because of snow and ice. I don't remember an
interstate ever closing in Indiana because of the weather. Here, the state
begins plowing and salting as soon as it begins snowing and they do it again
when it stops snowing. The roads here are never dangerous for more than a
couple hours max. In Santa Fe, the city didn't bother to ever plow the
streets. People paid groups of Mexican men with shovels to dig out their
driveways and the part of the street that goes past the house. It cost $25
and took the men about 15 minutes to do it...they were very hard workers but
made good money from it. Usually 4-5 guys worked together and could do 3-4
houses an hour. 20-25 dollars an hour for each man. Considering that it
snows in Santa Fe every winter and has done so for the last 400 years, you'd
think the city would have a more technologically advanced snow removal
method than "Immigrants with shovels". You know, like trucks with plows!