Re: [OM] RawTherapee

Subject: Re: [OM] RawTherapee
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 13:21:09 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> Is anybody use RawTherapee?  I downloaded it last night and started playing
> around with it.  So far, I'm pretty impressed--impressed enough that I might
> finally retire RSE. But I'm a little leery of driving down this B-Grade Road
> if there is a huge "gotcha" awaiting me.

I'm not aware of any gotchas. It's been around for quite some time and
they seem to be serious about becoming competitive with larger products
with the new version. I used it for my A720 RAW files and liked the
results. It didn't support A650 files until a recent beta release. I've
tried the beta only enough to see that it will do A650 files. The first
one I tried didn't save files quite the way it's supposed to, but there
have been a couple of releases since then.

I'll probably try it one of these days for A650 files, but batching with
dcraw is working quite well, so there's no hurry.

> I did notice some performance issues--it isn't particularily fast on my
> machine and I think the program has a memory-leak problem, but the
> conversions I was getting were outstanding and the user-interface has the
> features I need.

I can't really help much there. I generally use RAW converters as just
that. The only adjustments I make are those that control exposure/tonal
distribution and WB. It certainly seems to have controls and sliders for
more things than I'm sure I understand,s ort of like my recollection of
LightRoom.

However, I do everything beyond setting white and black points, exposure
and highlight recovery and adjusting WB, in PS. I like to separate the
two functions, so I can use different RAW converters without learning
all the different image manipulation bells and whistles on each. Also,
I'm lost without layers and some other tools , so I would have to go
through PS eventually on many images anyway.

So I can't comment on how well all those other fancy adjustment thingies
work. The few I use work well.

Moose