Re: [OM] 420 deal

Subject: Re: [OM] 420 deal
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:37:03 -0500
I think I'd put the center of focus on "mittee will study whether to
demolish" or on the line above.  That's based on comparing the blur of
the descender on the "y" in "money" and the "g" in "bridges" near the
top with the descender on the "g" in "CBS Evening News" below.  I'm
guessing that you were shooting from about 2 feet and at these close
distances DOF is pretty much evenly distributed between front and back
of the central point of focus.

Assuming that the newsprint is spaced about 7 lines/inch I make the
distance between intended and actual focus about 1-1/4 inches or roughly
32mm.  However, since you presumably had the paper at a 45 degree angle
laying back from the camera the actual backfocus would need to be
corrected by the sin of 45 degrees.  Roughly 0.7x32mm = 22mm.  So I make
it only about half what you estimated.  But if you're shooting from two
feet as I guessed that's still a large error.

But shooting hand held it's probably not hard to bob back and forth by
22mm.  Maybe you should shoot on a tripod.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt