Re: [OM] Poking around in CS4 Bridge

Subject: Re: [OM] Poking around in CS4 Bridge
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:55:40 -0500
As Chris says there are some newer cameras that are capable of capturing
and recording GPS data directly on images as they're written.  The Nikon
D90 does it as well as the Nikon P6000.  Nikon also makes an adapter for
attaching an external GPS.

Alternatively, you can use certain GPS units which have the capability
of creating a track log.  I know that certain Garmin units do this
(those designed for hikers but, unfortunatly, not my Garmin car unit).
The GPS simply records a "track log" which records the co-ordinates of
where you've been and a time stamp every so often.  For a hiker it's
used to be able to retrace your steps and find your way back to where
you started.  But, given the correct software (which you can find free
on the web) you can download the track log to the computer and the
software can query the track log for a time stamp that matches the time
stamp on your image and then record the related co-ordinates on the EXIF
for the image.

I got all excited about this when I first discovered the software to
marry the EXIF with the track log until I discovered that my Garmin 350
doesn't do track logs even though many Garmin GPS units do.  Actually, I
think it does but there is no provision for me to access or download the
data unless I want to query my current location, write it down and
append it to the EXIF manually.  Garmin was unresponsive to my request
for a firmware upgrade.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt