Re: [OM] I am the weirdest

Subject: Re: [OM] I am the weirdest
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:42:12 -0800
Sounds like overkill to me! I'm shooting mostly digital these days, now
back in my film days I didn't do any backups :) I just made damn sure I
kept track of my exposed film! The wife and I are headed over to
Vietnam, leaving Sunday. We will be there for 3 weeks. I have a rag tag
collection of CF cards, a couple 1 meg, three 4 meg, and a single 8meg
beastie! I will shoot the smaller cards first, with the 8 meg as a spare
in case I get crazy! With my D200 even shooting RAW that is a LOT of
shots! I am bringing them all 'just in case' As for backups, I have a
older Nikon backup unit that I may bring, but no laptop. I am not going
to spend nights editing, tagging, image management, what have you and I
am not going to lug a laptop around - I'm on vacation! If I bring the
backup unit I will copy the files off the CF cards onto the HD, so I
will have two copies, should be more than enough I think.

With the exif data I already have a ton more info than I ever had with
film so I can't see adding to it. I often think we have gotten so
spoiled with digital that we forget where we came from. I can remember
having to deal with film at airports, having to change rolls or cameras
everytime I needed to change film speed, and the grain of ISO 400+
films. Now folks whine about how 'noisy' a camera is at 1600 or 3200,
speeds that were unheard of not that long ago!

Jim Couch