Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:33:55 -0800 (PST)
I would guess the Leds have a Cheap 1N4004 diode connected in series with them,
so they aren't damaged by the possible large reverse voltage, or they may be
connected in pairs back to back so one LED conducts on one half of cycle and
the other on the other half cycle. They must also include a current limit of
some sort, probably just a small resistor potted into the connector.   In
theory a triac dimmer should work over part of its range if the string uses
with a current limit resistor, but it may be the current draw (probably ~20mA)
is so low the dimmer circuit itself will not function properly.

If it were me I would just try it.

You could also try connecting a small incandescent light in parallel with the
light string, to increase the load a bit for the dimmer to operate on.

tim Hughes