Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] LED Christmas lights and an incandescent dimmer???
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 09:14:27 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Chuck,

> Seems to me like it should work OK.  I assume the dimmer switch is made
> with something like a Triac which I think is just a variable frequency
> on/off switch.

A lot of the LED lighting for xmas tree's I've seen use small switch
mode supplies, dimmers wont work to well with these, it fact the
design of some of the switchmode supplies I've seen come in
for me to fix, if connected to a dimmer of any type, they would
fail permanently.

Short answer is no. Also LED lights dont dim on a graceful curve
as would a peanut incandesant bulb.

What you need is something to vary the voltage on the LED side
of the supply, something like a wire wound pot would do it :-)

** as you actually want to turn them off, just use a simple switch
BUT make sure that your LED string is not at mains potential
if connecting to the LED side. **

Some of the wiring I've seen on the both cheap and expense
consumer items make me wince.

I've seen small extension cords for sale that have an inline
on/off switch.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/