Re: [OM] *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals

Subject: Re: [OM] *(^&*%^^$%$@ verticals
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 15:49:11 -0800
Frank van Lindert wrote:
> Sat, 06 Dec 2008 21:28:05 -0800, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> ...... When I load a batch of images from the Fujis into the computer, I
>> select all that need a right rotation and rotate them all at once, then do
>> the ones that are the other way. Doesn't take long.
>>

> Hi, Moose. Does that imply that when making a 'vertical' shot you sometimes
> hold the camera with the righthand end pointing upward, and at other times
> with the same end downward?

Yup
> I have never thought about this, and now I start wondering how people do hold
> their camera when shooting. In my case all my verticals are always taken with
> right end facing upward. I wouldn't even be able to handle my camera (E-400)
> the other way around...

With (D)SLRs, a majority of my vertical shots are taken with right hand
on top, like you, but a significant minority are the other way. Perhaps
I am unusually flexible, as I apparently don't find it difficult or
unnatural to turn the camera either way. I do both, and am generally
simply unaware of which way I am doing it at the time. As a result, I've
never understood the point of adding a big, heavy battery box to a
camera to get a so called 'vertical grip'. Especially with the grip
strap I have on the 5D, I don't like changing my grip on the camera.

An unconscious part of the choice of rotation may simply be the
direction in which I am leaning when looking for an angle.

With the A650, use of the twist and tilt screen to move the camera away
not only from my eye, but from directly in front of me leads to a
different mix of the two sorts of verticals.

It's really not an issue with the Canons, as they all come up correct on
the computer. I'm really helter skelter with the F30. Fortunately, batch
rotations are easy. I've been aware of my inconsistency for ages, as it
affects setting up slides. And more so lately, where scanning film has
left me wishing I were more consistent.

Moose