Re: [OM] OM-3Ti Camera Review on Zone-10

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti Camera Review on Zone-10
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:05:55 -0600
Dr Flash wrote:

> I enjoyed that one and learned a bit that surprised me...

Thank You!

One confusion point:  You say "The OM-3Ti, not having the ability to
> actually override your choice in shutter speeds, will allow you to set
> the shutter-speed to any speed--including ones which exceed flash sync.
>  I personally make use of this ability by dragging the shutter to
> maintain a proper ambient exposure or for special effect."
>
> I interpreted "exceed flash sync" as shutter speeds *faster* than 1/60.
>  But the next sentence made it clear the you really meant *slower* than
> 1/60.  It might be better worded as "... including ones with are slower
> than flash sync."

Hmm. I'll have to think how to rewrite that for clarity.  What I meant to
say is that the OM-3Ti will allow you to royally screw up and get
partially-exposed flash pictures.  However, it will also allow you to show
your own brilliance by giving you the option of shooting with much slower
shutter speeds for special effects.

The multi-spot metering of both the OM-3 and OM-4 series cameras is so
unique and powerful, yet it takes seemingly diverse sources of comparative
tools to recognize how it can be used to milk that power.  For example, in
my case, it was through the adjustment of the "Levels Dialog Box" in an
image editor that I realized what it was that I was looking at. This was
about the time I also read Ansel Adams' "The Negative" which delved into the
Zone System.  A short time later I bought the RH Designs ZoneMaster II
darkroom exposure meter which functions nearly identically to the described
exposure metering method in the OM-3Ti review. In fact, the design of the
ZoneMaster II was specifically inspired by the OM-4Ti.

AG