Re: [OM] On free film...

Subject: Re: [OM] On free film...
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:48:09 -0500
I received my box with the sample Tmax Rolls a couple days ago too. I think
I asked for it online several months ago. They sent it to my parents house,
because I was staying there right after I moved back to Indiana. I don't
remember when I asked for it, but I got my own apartment 8 months ago, so
they sure took their time sending it!

Tmax film still has a reputation for being hard to use that is unjustified.
The first generation Tmax films, from the late 80's and early 90's deserved
this. The later versions did not. There have been at least 4 versions of
this film that I can remember:

The originals, which often blocked highlights.

2nd Generation, my favorite, had beautiful tonality and extremely fine
grain. These came out in the mid 90's. Most of my work done from 1994 to
2004 was done on these films.

3rd Generation, introduced when Kodak built a new coating plant for black &
white films several years ago, around 2004 I think. They claimed they needed
to reformulate all their BW films a bit to work on the new production
machinery. Tmax 100 and 400 got REALLY grainy compared to the 2nd gen films,
but Tmax 3200 remained nice. I had used Tmax 100 and 400 exclusively until
this happened, then I began using other films. I never have found anything
as good as the 2nd Gen Tmax films.

4th Generation Tmax 400. Tmax 3200 and 100 are still the 3rd gen versions,
but 400 was updated near the end of 2007 to a much finer grained version
that Kodak claims is the sharpest and finest grained 400 speed BW film ever
made. I think that's probably true. Here's a photo shot on the latest Tmax
400, the version you got in the mail:

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/fine_art/portfolio/mack/photopages/mack_12
-30-07.htm

I like it but that is the only roll I have ever shot of it, and I think I'll
use a shorter developing time next time. I had a big supply of Tri-X I had
bought in 35mm that I just finished using, so I will likely use the new Tmax
400 now.

If you don't want the stuff cause you're afraid its too finicky to expose
and develop, send it to me...my girlfriend and I will use it.

Chris

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design