Re: [OM] I feel so inferior

Subject: Re: [OM] I feel so inferior
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 04:00:27 -0300
Amazing ... been in this list from 2002, IIRC; and the 300 4,5 was one
of the least discussed prime ... and first knowledgeable opinion I get
says: "and every 300/4.5 I've tried required the better part of my
entire hand to turn the thing."  Duhhhh  .......

Started to pay attention to it after Mike-in-the-Islands photographs ( I
seem to remember he has one or two big whites, or big blacks - that's a
non issue for me ), but I'm talking of a few 300/4,5 shots he did which
I happened to see: an orchid perhaps, and some other.
Also, Moose didn't seem disappointed when he doubled it using the 2X-A
to get some unique effect for a former TOPE entry. Ok, he surely masked
what he didn't like, but that's fine if you know what you want to
photograph.
Sometimes I even got fairly good results doubling the zoom to reach
500mm @ f10 _ ;^) - some special occasions deserve such a thing.
Bokeh notwithstanding, I try to feel happy with my 85~250/5 zoom and my
2X-A doubled 200/4 ( the latter combo has good bokeh, imho ).

But if I happen to step over a 300/4,5 'closet queen', of latest serial
number, I swear I won't mind its stiff focusing issue.

If someone here happens to see one of these closet queen, I'd be most
grateful if he could drop me a line :-)

Thank you, Ken - a most valuable point.

Fernando.

--
Dr. Fernando González Gentile M.D.
Av.L.P.Ponce 1526B - 11600 Montevideo, Uruguay.