Re: [OM] WTB Oly 49mm lens cap (front)

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB Oly 49mm lens cap (front)
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:07:34 -0600
I've been replacing some of my worn-out lens caps.  Yes, Virginia, they do
wear out.  I can't bear to throw them away, though.  As best as I can
determine, there are three styles of Olympus lens caps:

1. Original rounded face knurled caps.  These have excellent thread grip and
don't knock off easily.

2. The first generation of flat-caps with chromed "Olympus". These are a bit
thin and the thread "grippers" aren't tall enough to get an adequate bite on
the filter ring.  The "grippers" are also of a softer plastic and the
"threads" get rounded down and mis-threaded easily.  Ok, perspective--22
years of rounding....

3. The second generation of flat-caps with chromed "Olympus". These are
another 50% thicker than the earlier ones.  The spring-loaded "grippers"
have a little more height to them and have decent bite into the threads.  I
haven't had any of these long enough to get worn out.  They do tend to be a
bit more secure than any of the previous Olympus caps even when new.

I have been replacing my caps (slowly, due to excessive cost of these
things) with the new style center-pinch lens-caps.  As most of my front-line
lenses have lens-shades, it is impossible to get normal Olympus caps on or
off with the lens-shade attached. The center-pinch style caps are terrific
as you just reach in and with your thumb and finger are able to just squeeze
the releases in the middle of the cap.  I've purchased two different
brands:  Tamrac and ProMaster.  The ProMaster seems to have a little better
bite on the threads, but the Tamracs look better and aren't quite as
obnoxiously thick. I highly recommend the Tamracs.

AG