Re: [OM] Vacation Settings

Subject: Re: [OM] Vacation Settings
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 04:24:38 -0300
I know little about this Andrew, I'm not a surgeon - but yes, Ta should
go in the face which bonds to the bone, due to its biocompatibility.

Didn't know about the Tantalus myth, but I've just read: " ....
rebuilding his shoulder with one wrought of ivory made by Hephaestus and
presented by Demeter." - .... and the boy came back alive !.

But yes, I knew about the secondary osteolysis - considering the
importance of the organ to be recovered, it's ok to expect something
better, but I wouldn't say "they only last 15 years or so" - rather:
"they do last about 15 years !!".

I don't know about possible complications as those you mention, sorry:
but do not forget to ask - ok, some things are impossible to remember
asking.
Surgery is brutal, use it when strictly needed ... I was young when
decided not to become a surgeon.

Must go to sleep now, it's 04:20 and me writing in English ... wow .

Good luck, man - feel good that you're living in S XXI - :^)

Fernando.

Andrew Fildes wrote:
> As I understand mine are simple stainless steel though I don't know
> what kind and whether nylon is involved - I assume so.
> The surgeon is conservative about choices - prefers ones that have a
> track record. But they may have Tantalum alloy components - the bond
> face perhaps?
> If you know the classics and the story of King Tantalus, you'd think
> twice about having Tantalum prostheses (especially a shoulder!).
> It's not the new joint that wears out - it's the bone to which it is
> bonded.
> It goes cheesy over time as I understand it and the bond breaks down.
> That why they only last 15 years or so.
> You can manage one revision and that's your lot.
> What I keep forgetting to ask the surgeon is if the knee encysts -
> forming a false synovial cavity of some kind.
>
> It's pretty brutal work - the last time I remember being wheeled in
> and seeing a pair of the best cordless drills I've ever seen on one
> side - looked like they were Titanium plated.
> Still, I'm one of those that finds morphine VERY effective thank
> goodness..
>
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 22/11/2008, at 4:55 PM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
>

>> I'll try to put this into a positive perspective, Andrew: isn't it
>> awesome that such a thing like a knee can be replaced ?.
>> I remember when this was announced in Scientific American, I was about
>> 18 - 1978. I still have it in my library ....
>>
>> When you come back to the list we could discuss about the
>> biocompatibility of Tantalum and its relationship to Coltan and
>> possible
>> relationship to what's happening in Congo - but Australia is main
>> source
>> of Tantalum in the world I understand. Ask your surgeon for me, if the
>> new knee has good Australian Ta; will you ?
>>
>> Since this is your second replacement, you already know that your
>> muscles will need serious training - Bariloche has some nice mountains
>> to train them :-)
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Fernando.
>>
>> Andrew Fildes wrote:
>>
>>> About to get the other knee replaced so going off-line for a coupla
>>> weeks.
>>> Andrew Fildes
>>> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>

>> --

Dr. Fernando González Gentile M.D.
Av.L.P.Ponce 1526B - 11600 Montevideo, Uruguay.
Phone: +598 2 7084858
Fax:      +598 2 7087396
<fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>