Re: [OM] Vacation Settings

Subject: Re: [OM] Vacation Settings
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:30:28 +1100
As I understand mine are simple stainless steel though I don't know
what kind and whether nylon is involved - I assume so.
The surgeon is conservative about choices - prefers ones that have a
track record. But they may have Tantalum alloy components - the bond
face perhaps?
If you know the classics and the story of King Tantalus, you'd think
twice about having Tantalum prostheses (especially a shoulder!).
It's not the new joint that wears out - it's the bone to which it is
bonded.
It goes cheesy over time as I understand it and the bond breaks down.
That why they only last 15 years or so.
You can manage one revision and that's your lot.
What I keep forgetting to ask the surgeon is if the knee encysts -
forming a false synovial cavity of some kind.

It's pretty brutal work - the last time I remember being wheeled in
and seeing a pair of the best cordless drills I've ever seen on one
side - looked like they were Titanium plated.
Still, I'm one of those that finds morphine VERY effective thank
goodness..

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx