Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow

Subject: Re: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:06:47 -0500
The newer Canyons do and others may as well.  Scroll down to
"Taking a Test Image with Canon’s Dust Delete Data function:"
in the link I just posted
<http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1446&fromTips=1>

I have a Rocket blower and find it to be fairly useless even though
that's always my first pass at cleaning.  But there is a much better
second step than wet cleaning.  Wet cleaning is only as a last resort
for "welded on" dust and that's rarely necessary.

The first time I cleaned my 5D it was using the wet method with Eclipse
and Pec Pads.  The cleaning created more dust spots than I removed and
it took 3 cleanings just to get back to the dust level where I started.
  Today I always use the brush method using cheap cosmetic brushes
bought on ebay for about $10/pair including the shipping.  My brushes
are about 19mm wide so it takes two passes to sweep the full 24mm
dimension of the sensor.  I use both brushes by making a sweep down one
side, bang the brush across a child's table knife to remove dust, turn
the brush over and sweep the other side of the sensor and bang the brush
again.  Then I repeat with the second brush before putting both away in
a plastic bag along with the small table knife.  If there's anything
left after this treatment I do it again.  If that doesn't help it's
something that's welded on and I use the wet method on that specific spot.

Here's the brush method which I heartily recommend.
<http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html>
I recommend downloading and printing the PDF version with the link near
the upper right hand corner.  You may need it as a reference while you
work the first time or two.  Pay special attention to what's described
as the "filter test" to check the cleanliness of your brushes.  Don't
ignore the advice to use hundreds of passes on the filter.  As received,
my brushes were wrapped in a cellophane sleeve and looked squeaky clean
to my eye.  Nevertheless I put them to the filter test and soon
discovered they weren't clean at all.  But a bit of soap and water and
thorough rinsing and drying resolved the problem.  The next pass through
the filter test showed the brushes finally to be squeaky clean.

The purveyors of $100 cleaning brushes and anti-static gizmos and FUD
(Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) probably don't like this simple and down
to earth cleaning process one bit.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt