[OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow

Subject: [OM] An amazing discovery... well, to me anyhow
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:00:13 -0500
While perusing my 3500 photos taken during my long trip around the
country I was dismayed to discover that the camera had picked up a faint
dust spot about half way through the journey.  Not readily visible
except in clear blue skies but, of course, what was I shooting but
mostly landscapes with clear blue skies.  Anyhow, I have been dreading
going through the last half of the shots.

Purely by accident I was trolling through some stuff on Canyon's web
site about dust removal which I thought was going to be totally camera
related.  The camera related stuff was not particularly useful but then
I stumbled across this gem.  Click on the link below and scroll down to
"Dust Mapping" and "With Adobe Software" below it.
<http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1446&fromTips=1>

I have only recently started doing identical exposure and related
adjustments across multiple images in Camera Raw using the "Select" and
"Synchronize" options.  For unknown reasons I have never attempted to
use any retouching tools in Camera Raw nor did I realize that they could
also be the subject of "synchronization" across multiple images.
Furthermore it never occurred to me that any form of "retouching" would
be useful across images.  But, as it turns out, it certainly is useful
for cloning out or healing dust spots.  Pay particular attention to the
admonition to allow the software to choose the healing source.  That
again is a capability I didn't know existed.

I still hate to think of possibly having to dust spot hundreds of photos
but this should make it go a whole lot faster.  I'll also remember from
now on to recheck the camera for dust from time to time whenever I'm on
a lenthy trip shooting thousands of images.  I cleaned the camera before
I left.  I even took my cleaning gear.  But it doesn't help if you don't
spot check once in a while and clean as required.

Chuck Norcutt