Re: [OM] Flash question on RFF

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash question on RFF
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:05:16 -0500
After the costs that Olympus incurred fixing the OM-2sp to change it to
draw power from the flash I would be astounded if they hadn't learned
their lesson and kept the new design on later cameras.  I think the
red/green differentiation on the OM-2sp was nothing more than a means to
tell the difference... if red it had already been fixed.  I think your
only possible concern about the battery draw on the OM-4 is whether it
has the 4T circuit which is designed to draw much less power when the
camera is not in use.  The test for that is whether the camera will shut
off the battery check beeping in 30 seconds.  New, power saving, circuit
if it shuts off and old circuit otherwise.  But even with the old
circuit the draw is about the same as the OM-2sp.  A pair of silver
oxide batteries should last some 6-9 months sitting on the shelf unused.
  If that's not long enough just remove them.

Chuck Norcutt