Re: [OM] depth of field stats for digital OM lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] depth of field stats for digital OM lenses
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:04:57 -0500
No, but with this you can calculate your own
<http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm>
For the 4/3 cameras you should probably use a CoC of half the 35mm value
or about 0.015 which is about 67 line pairs/mm.  That should be good for
enlargements up to about 8x10 and maybe larger if you don't put your
nose in the print.  Otherwise tighten it up (smaller CoC value) for
larger prints with things like architectural detail.

My favorite DOF calculator (a Windows app called dof32.exe from the PW
Pro folks at Digital Light & Color is no longer supported there and can
no longer be downloaded except as a Pocket PC app.  The help file is
particularly valuable since it contains a lot of tidbits about DOF and
tables of resolution values for many types of films (but not newer
ones).  Another thing I like about dof32.exe is that it deals with
resolution in terms of lines (actually, line pairs) which is the inverse
of the CoC.  It allows dealing in understandable integer values instead
of unfathomable small decimals.  I still have the install file (538 KB)
and will send it to anyone who requests it.  Windows only.

Chuck Norcutt