Re: [OM] underwater photography

Subject: Re: [OM] underwater photography
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 02:27:34 -0800
WayneS wrote:

> I think snorkeling is actually more fun, and I have better photos from
> snorkeling
> than from diving, but diving has a more macho bragging rights quality.
> Something
> I need to acquire as I get older and more seasoned.

Snorkeling definitely looks like a lot of fun too, but I'm not a very good
swimmer and just always figured I'd be better off with an air tank than a
flimsy little tube to breath. I could also see how snorkeling could make
underwater photography easier than diving, since there would be more natural
light available closer to the surface than a couple hundred feet down.

> Belize is very loose on requirements for diving, and you need to
> watch yourself. I know some people, with maybe one or two days
> of training, taken out to the Blue Hole for a 200+ foot dive. Crazy

Sounds like a good way to weed out some idiots. I've got way to much common
sense to think myself capable of that kind of dive with that little
training. Not to mention I'd be way to chicken!

> I actually had some problems after 4 dives and had to stop. 130-150
> foot dives are easy to come by, but my body had a hard time adapting
> and I had to stop after the 4th dive in 3 days.

If you don't mind my asking, were the problems related to the pressure, or
was it something  else?

> I'll take good snorkeling any day.
>
> Wayne

Perhaps some day I'll learn to swim better and be able to give both a try.

Darin