[OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 36 call for entries, and extended shooting period
From: WayneS <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 09:41:07 -0500
- The point of the TOPE is to use OM gear for the shot.
Why bother with using film at all if shooting with a digital
camera to figure out how to shoot with a film camera?
Just use the digital camera. -
My commenting on the digital-chimp-procedure.

-- If you want to expose the film to look like the scene:

The OM-4 will expose for grey. The zone system of exposure
should then be a guide to adjust compensation for the shot
and place background where you want taking into account the
film reciprocity failure. I have found Provia 100F to have pretty
good reciprocity failure for night shots, being almost flat out to
2 minutes. At long exposure, it is better than 400F.
Many print films have color shift with reciprocity failure.
If using the chimp-meter procedure and using print film,
compensate for reciprocity failure.

To estimate the correct exposure with OM-4 will depend on
the scene. A typical night shot of a city on the horizon will
probably want 2 stops under exposure, but one with a lot
of light sources, maybe no compensation. This is *if* you
want the film to look like the scene.

So the answer is, yes, the camera will tend to make it look
close to a daylight shot if the illumination is relatively uniform,
hence give it approximately 2 stop under-exposure.

-- Better approach if using post processing:

The other approach is to center exposure range to match the
film range, and capture the most dynamic range, then
adjust the result with levels and curves later. For most
scenes, this means use OM-4t auto with no compensation.

Here is an example of how the exposure will lighten the image.
The histogram show good exposure. Shot with OM-4t, Provia
100F, not sure on exposure time (30 sec?) but you can see
the cloud movement. OM-4t on auto, no compensation used.
http://tinyurl.com/6nqkhn

Since all the exposure info is there, adjust the midpoint in levels
brings the image back closer to what the scene actually looked like:
http://tinyurl.com/5sdvjj  - Virgin Gorda, 2003

And actually the scene is probably darker, but the eyes also change,
so there is a lot of interpretation with night shots. To me the ability
of the camera to see things I cannot is what is best about night shots.
It can bring out color our eyes loose in low light.

WayneS