[OM] Re: Scanner

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:21:47 -0500
Jez's offer is most generous.  I wouldn't offer up my own 2720s for 2
Eurocents since I know that the film holders are in demand since they've
been out of production for years :-)

But just a caution before you spend much on a USB or Firewire to SCSI
adapter.  There is a Yahoo group called 2720 of which I have been a
member for many years.  I can't recall all the details but I do believe
that at least 2 folks have attempted USB to SCSI conversion with at
least one of the adapters being an Adaptec device.  IIRC neither
conversion attempt was successful even though there's probably no one in
the world who know more about SCSI than Adaptec.  I'd suggest you do a
search through the archives of the 2720 list to find any details I may
not have seen or, more likely, forgotten.

The Scanwit 2720s is a good scanner but lacks digital ICE which was
offered in the 2740 model.  The software for the Scanwit is only for
Windows and only up to XP.  You'll likely have to use VueScan but that
works much better anyhow.  If you can get an adapter cheap it's probably
a good gamble but I think you might better plan on installing a PCI SCSI
card.

Chuck Norcutt