[OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-Fr

Subject: [OM] Re: It is now official - My primary camera bag is now aDigital-Free Zone
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:23:58 -0700
WayneS wrote:

> With the 5D, the spot meter mode is tricky - I'm always forgetting I have to
> spot and lock between shots, so invariably I screw up a few exposures.
Been there, done that, don't use the spot.
> In evaluative mode I have a hard time figuring out how the exposure was
> determined, so I don't know how to compensate it. Perhaps the next shot the
> camera picks slightly different focus points and the exposure changes. As I
> review my photos I notice quite a variation from one exposure to the next of
> the same exact scene, all depending on focus points.

For my use, multiple focus points are just a nuisance, anyway.  I set
the 5D to central point only and leave it there.  Like Chuck, I think
the histogram is close to the ultimate exposure tool. My default setting
on the 5D is -2/3 EV, and I adjust from there when needed based on the
histogram.

> I just can't imagine how anyone today learning photography can really get a
> sense of exposure without using manual mode.

And yet, the instant feedback may help speed up the learning curve. I
tend to learn by doing. Comparing film days later with notes of exposure
settings isn't as useful a way to learn, for me, as shoot, look, shoot,
look....

> Even if you take a shot and review the histogram, the next shot is not
> guaranteed to be the same, unless you lock the exposure.

I'm not having much of that experience with the 5D.

> It is just too easy to let the camera do it all, and let the extra dynamic
> range and post processing take care of the rest.

I suppose I have to ask why. For me, photography is mostly about subject
and composition. I've been happy to learn all the technical details and
techniques of "the light game", but I'm also quite happy when the camera
does a good job of that on its own, leaving me to the "important" - and
fun - parts.

> I just haven't figured out a way to control exposure with today's digitals
> that doesn't require I take my ancient eyes from the viewfinder and try to
> close focus on the display, or constantly fiddle with something.

-2/3 EV, evaluative metering, single, central focus point, work well for
me for the vast majority of shots. In ordinary lighting, I don't even
look at the LCD for most shots.

> I will say that flash photography changes things. What I liked about the
> OM-3t was the ability to set the speed for background lighting and let the
> flash auto-expose. That is one thing the 3T had over the 4T, flash
> photography and the easy ability to balance background exposure. And that my
> 5D can do as well, when set to manual mode, the 5D works just like the 3T
> with a flash attached.

I think you were away when Dr. Flash waxed eloquent about Canon flash.
On his advice, I picked up a 540 EZ flash. It's an older model that
won't do TTL with the DSLRs, so available cheap. It's the cat's meow as
a manual flash with the 5D and includes the strongest IR focus assist
light they've made. Focus in complete dark at 30 feet? No problem. It
does do other communication with the camera, just not TTL. For details
of the flash, check out Chuck's informative posts on the subject, here
<http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/eos/EOS-1n/Flash/Canon_540EZ/index.htm>

and here. <http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html>

These were all shot in a dark church from something like 30 feet with
that combo.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=JuliaGrad/1-Grad>

I don't like using flash, but if I have to, this is a great tool.

Moose