[OM] Re: OT fun with digicams and super WA

Subject: [OM] Re: OT fun with digicams and super WA
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:37:42 -0700
WayneS wrote:

> Has anyone seen a Panasonic Lumix G1, which uses the 4/3rds sensor but have
> reduced the lens throat and eliminated the mirror and prism, making for a
> pretty compact camera. I never thought I would go for an EVF, but sounds like
> this one  has promise for a small camera. It might even be more compact than
> an OM.

Panasonic G1 - 130 x 91 x 53 mm (5.1 x 3.6 x 2.1 in), 360 g (12.7 oz)
Oly E-420    - 124 x 84 x 45 mm (4.9 x 3.3 x 1.8 in), 440 g (15.5 oz)
Oly OM-1     - 136 x 83 x 50 mm (5.4 x 3.3 x 2.0 in), 510 g (18 oz)

The E-420 is already smaller, just slightly, and lighter than an OM.
I've handled the two cameras side by side, and there is no real
difference in size. The weight difference is obvious.

As some reports have already noted, the G1 is not the promised really
small camera from micro 4/3. Panny seems to be taking the first step
rather conservatively, following the established design layout of SLRs
even to the "prism" hump on top. It's actually slightly larger than the
E-420 in height and width. The shallower depth is impressive, as it
includes a twist and tilt screen.

The announced first Oly micro 4/3 camera looks like it will be
innovatively small.
<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092208olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp>

Moose