[OM] Re: Well, I did it...

Subject: [OM] Re: Well, I did it...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:28:37 -0700
Dawid Loubser wrote:

> And lastly, I really do want an OM-3Ti some time in the future. For most
> things, I do see myself preferring the beautiful simplicity of the OM-1n, but
> the metering as well as the 1/2000th shutter speed are both very desirable to
> me for the type of photography I do (macro, and shallow DOF in daylight).

One thing to keep in mind. The OM-3 and 3Ti have no form of mirror lock
up and/or aperture pre-fire at all. This can be a serious drawback for
macro work. Even with really solid macro set-ups, proper mirror and
aperture lock-up (as in some Nikons) or pre-fire, as with the OM-4
series of bodies* makes eliminating vibration effects on sharpness easier.

The OM-1 is also not as good in this regard as the OM-4 series bodies,
as it doesn't have aperture lock-up or pre-fire. The aperture mechanism
induced movement is a real problem with certain mid range telephotos and
could easily affect certain macro set-ups. Any of the bodies with mirror
and aperture pre-fire is better suited to macro, especially the serious
stuff you are contemplating, than the OM-1(n), 2(n) and 3(Ti) bodies.

Another advantage of all these bodies except the OM-2000 is the ability
to use them with the T series flashes, including the T8 & T10 ring and
T28 macro flashes, for automatic TTL-OTF exposure control. That can be a
BIG deal if you are to use flash for macro.

Even the T32 can be a great macro flash with the simple, inexpensive
set-up CH designed. <http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/flash-d.htm>
He has posted samples taken with an OM-4 showing how well it works for
macro subjects. <http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo2.htm>
and <http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo9.htm>

Moose

* and the OM-2sp, OM-40/PC and OM2000