[OM] Re: Well, I did it...

Subject: [OM] Re: Well, I did it...
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:03:17 +0100
Well done on your decision, Dawid!  Though your choice of catalyst might
leave something to be desired ;-)

The last 3Ti I saw for sale went for ca. GBP800, within about 48 hrs of
being advertised earlier this year.  I think that is a good marker price for
a UK example in perfect condition.  But if you are thinking of using 1/2000
for macro photography, you are going to need some *serious* light levels.
3Ti does offer high speed flash synchronisation, but it is at the cost of
very low guide numbers. I wonder how practical that 1/2000 will be for
macro.  I would stick to OM-1.  I did (and it was my 3Ti that sold).

The 38/2.8 is even rarer than the 3Ti in my experience, it (with the 20/2.0)
is one of the few Zuiko lenses I have not seen "in the flesh", so I can't
help with a guide price, let alone one to sell!  You might try looking out
for the earlier 38/3.5 which, though a Zuiko, is RMS threaded, and needs an
adaptor to fit to the OM-mount. It might be easier to find (and you probably
will be stopping-down the 38/2.0 for DoF).

I have the 20/3.5, but use it mostly in tandem with a 4mm cine lens for
extremely wide DoF close-up work.  You might like to experiment!
www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/BrackenburyImage1.jpg is an early effort of mine.
The flowers are dwarf narcissi, 2-3cm across, perhaps 2cm from the lens, and
you can see the tripod leg at the right of the image.  The trellis is about
20meters distant, the trees on the skyline maybe 100 meters distant.  Not
the usual narrow Dof from close-up work!

The experiments were inspired by the work of John Brackenbury, who has a
couple of books published - recommended.

--
Piers