[OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Addendum to query about successor to E1
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:54:24 +0200
Hi Brian,

Well now... To match a Pentax 67 with its awful shutter vibration,
an E-3 should suffice. No seriously, even on a 10Kg tripod, I've seen
shutter vibration from the Pentax's barn-door focal-plane shutter.
But if you mean a Mamiya RB67, now we're talking... :-)

And, as an enthusiastic user of a Linhof Technorama, I can say after
preliminary
testing that it takes at least a stitch of 10 carefully made images
from an E-3
to match it in resolution, but not that many cameras at all can match
it in "look" -
there is something special about a single capture on Fuji Provia or
Velvia that is
17cm wide, as large-format view-camera users will agree. Even stopped
down to f/22,
DOF is still rather shallow, so if you focus on something 10m away,
there is a
certain "depth" to the way you can just let your eyes fall into that
background -
it produces magnificent images, and the Schneider 90mm Super-Angulon
is also an
utterly perfect super-wide angle lens.

That said, and colour and film-character aesthetics aside, I do
believe that a carefully
made shot from any recent full-frame 35mm digital (except perhaps the
Sony A900,
which appears to have per-pixel quality more akin to a point-and-shoot
than to a DSLR)
will give, for most uses, a 6x7cm film capture a go, provided you use
really good lenses.
The lenses really are key, in my opinion.

For example, even a shot made on my 8.2MP Canon 1DMkIIN (which has
really good
per-pixel quality, and almost non-existent AA filter), using a lens
like the EF 50mm f/1.2L
(which has hyper-amazing micro contrast and resolution), will give
most medium format shots
a run for their money, unless you enlarge them to an extreme.

I would have to say, if you really want to "match" medium- to large-
format film, you
either have to get one of the digital backs (even 22MP should resolve
better than
most films, as those big pixels are especially good) to stick on the
back of a Mamiya,
Hasselblad or Sinar. To match the Linhof, a Seitz 6x17 Scanning-back
camera with
160 Megapixels should suffice, but it will not freeze motion while you
wait for it to
scan across the whole image plane. It costs $40,000+, and uses the
same 90mm lens the
Linhof uses (the lens is evidently *that* good :-)

I have not seen any single-shot technology which comes close to
matching a Linhof
Technorama, which is why I presume the prices can be so absurd (I got
really lucky
on a second-hand deal, I could never afford a new one).

On the other hand, I have also never used a camera which is so
difficult to make a
pleasing shot with, as the Technorama.

So - yes, such a beast exists, at a great cost though :-)

cheers,
Dawid